Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Choi is currently Task Leading/Principal investigating interconnects materials, coating materials and optimization and supporting sealing, and electrochemical processes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Stack Testing for DOE projects (SECA Core) at the Lab. He also joined structure materials and manufacturing projects. He is expert of metal solidification and manufacturing. (B.S, M.S. and Ph.D work) The experience in this area is over 16 years. Therefore, He has high potentials to expanding these solidification related working area. He was one of the manufacturing counselor and co-workers with HYUNDAI Motors and POSCO. In addition, His M.S. and Ph.D. work was related on Electromagnetic Processing and computer modeling. He had many international collaboration with JAPAN. He got Inventor recognition, Key Contributor and Outstanding Award in this PNNL. More than 120 publications, including journal articles, conference, reports, book chapters, and lectures.
- Ceramic Process (coating, electrochemical process, and Fuel Cells)
- Solidification and manufacturing Process (New advanced materials)
- Electromagnetic process for Materials and Energy production.
- Numerical Analysis
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. Materials Science, Hanyang University, (South KOREA)
- M.S. Materials Science, Hanyang University
- B.S. Metallurgy Science and Engineering, Hanyang University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Ceramic Society (ACerS)
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS)
- The Korean Institute of Metals and Materials
- The Korean Foundrymenâ€™s Society
- The Japan Institute of Light Metals
- Jiang X, TJ Roosendaal, X Lu, O Palasyuk, KW Dennis, ME Dahl, JP Choi, E Polikarpov, M Marinescu, and J Cui. 2016. "Mechanical and Electrical Properties of Low Temperature Phase MnBi." Journal of Applied Physics 119(3):Article No. 033903. doi:10.1063/1.4939811
- Overman NR, S Mathaudhu, JP Choi, TJ Roosendaal, and SG Pitman. 2016. "Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of a Novel Rapidly Solidified, High-Temperature Al-Alloy." Materials Characterization 112:142-148. doi:10.1016/j.matchar.2015.12.015
- Prabhakaran R, JP Choi, EV Stephens, D Catalini, CA Lavender, and A Rohatgi. 2016. "Mechanical Characterization and Corrosion Testing of X608 Al Alloy." Chapter 24 in Light Metals 2016, ed. E. Williams, pp. 145-150. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Xie W, E Polikarpov, JP Choi, ME Bowden, K Sun, and J Cui. 2016. "Effect of ball milling and heat treatment process on MnBi powders magnetic properties." Journal of Alloys and Compounds 680:1-5. doi:10.1016/j.jallcom.2016.04.097
- Choi JP, A Rohatgi, MT Smith, and CA Lavender. 2015. "Process Development for Stamping Á-Pillar Covers with Aluminum." Chapter 35 in Light Metals 2015: Proceedings of the symposia sponsored by the TMS Aluminum Committee at the TMS 2015 Annual Meeting & Exhibition, March 15-19, 2015, Orlando, Florida, ed. M Hyland, pp. 197-202. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ. doi:10.1002/9781119093435.ch35
- Chou YS, JP Choi, W Xu, EV Stephens, BJ Koeppel, JW Stevenson, and E Lara-Curzio. 2014. Compliant Glass Seals for SOFC Stacks. PNNL-23397, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Chou YS, JW Stevenson, and JP Choi. 2014. "Long-term evaluation of solid oxide fuel cell candidate materials in a 3-cell generic short stack fixture, Part II: sealing glass stability, microstructure and interfacial reactions." Journal of Power Sources 250:166-173. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.09.148
- Cui J, JP Choi, G Li, E Polikarpov, JT Darsell, MJ Kramer, N Zarkevich, LL Wang, DD Johnson, M Marinescu, Q Huang, H Wu, NV Vuong, and JP Liu. 2014. "Development of MnBi permanent magnet: neutron diffraction of MnBi powder." Journal of Applied Physics 115(17):Article No. 17A743. doi:10.1063/1.4867230
- Cui J, JP Choi, G Li, E Polikarpov, JT Darsell, NR Overman, MJ Olszta, DK Schreiber, ME Bowden, TC Droubay, MJ Kramer, N Zarkevich, LL Wang, DD Johnson, M Marinescu, I Takeuchi, Q Huang, H Wu, H Reeve, NV Vuong, and JP Liu. 2014. "Thermal Stability of MnBi Magnetic Materials." Journal of Physics. Condensed Matter 26(6):Article No. 064212. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/26/6/064212
- Cui J, JP Choi, E Polikarpov, ME Bowden, W Xie, G Li, Z Nie, N Zarkevich, MJ Kramer, and DD Johnson. 2014. "Effect of Composition and Heat Treatment on MnBi Magnetic Materials." Acta Materialia 79:374-381. doi:10.1016/j.actamat.2014.07.034
- Joshi VV, JP Choi, JT Darsell, A Meier, and KS Weil. 2013. "Reactive Air Aluminizing of Nicrofer-6025HT for Use in Advanced Coal-Based Power Plants." Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A, Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science 44(1 (Supplement)):188-192. doi:10.1007/s11661-012-1237-y
- Chou YS, JW Stevenson, and JP Choi. 2013. "Evaluation of a single cell and candidate materials with high water content hydrogen in a generic solid oxide fuel cell stack test fixture, Part II: materials and interface characterization." International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology 10(1):97-106. doi:10.1111/j.1744-7402.2012.02753.x
- Chou YS, JP Choi, and JW Stevenson. 2012. "Compliant alkali silicate sealing glass for solid oxide fuel cell applications: the effect of protective alumina coating on electrical stability in dual environment." International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37(23):18372–18380. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.08.084
- Chou YS, EC Thomsen, JP Choi, and JW Stevenson. 2012. "Compliant alkali silicate sealing glass for solid oxide fuel cell applications: Combined stability in isothermal ageing and thermal cycling with YSZ coated ferritic stainless steels." Journal of Power Sources 197(1):154-160. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.09.027
- Chou YS, EC Thomsen, JP Choi, and JW Stevenson. 2012. "Compliant alkali silicate sealing glass for solid oxide fuel cell applications: the effect of protective YSZ coating on electrical stability in dual environment ." Journal of Power Sources 202:149-156. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.11.017
- Choi JP, YS Chou, and JW Stevenson. 2011. Reactive Air Aluminization. PNNL-20859, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Choi JP, KS Weil, YS Chou, JW Stevenson, and Z Yang. 2011. "Development of MnCoO Coating with New Aluminizing Process for Planar SOFC Stacks." International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36(7):4549-4556. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.04.110
- Chou YS, EC Thomsen, RT Williams, JP Choi, NL Canfield, JF Bonnett, JW Stevenson, A Shyam, and E Lara-Curzio. 2011. "Compliant alkali silicate sealing glass for solid oxide fuel cell applications: thermal cycle stability and chemical compatibility." Journal of Power Sources 196(5):2709-2716. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.11.020
- Chou YS, EC Thomsen, JP Choi, WE Voldrich, JW Templeton, and JW Stevenson. 2011. "Development and Implementation of Stack Fixture Tests." Chapter III.E.5 in 2011 Office of Fossil Energy Fuel Cell Program Annual Report, vol. DOE/NETL-2012-1525, pp. 163-167. Department of Energy, Washington, DC.
- Xia G, RC Scott, XS Li, Z Nie, JP Choi, and JW Stevenson. 2011. "Development of SOFC Interconnects and Coatings." Chapter III.C.4 in 2011 Office of Fossil Energy Fuel Cell Program Annual Report, vol. DOE/NETL-2012-1525, pp. 120-123. Department of Energy, Washington, DC.
- Hong ST, KS Weil, JP Choi, IT Bae, and J Pan. 2010. "Annealing induced interfacial layers in niobium-clad stainless steel developed as a bipolar plate material for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell stacks." Journal of Power Sources 195(9):2592 - 2598. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.10.034
- Choi JP, KS Weil, and JW Stevenson. 2009. "Optimization of Protective Coatings for SOFC Interconnects." Chapter III.C.4 in Office of Fossil Energy Fuel Cell Program FY 2009 Annual Report. Office of Fossil Energy Fuel Cell Program, Washington, DC .
- Kim JY, JP Choi, and KS Weil. 2008. "Mechanical properties and dual atmosphere tolerance of Ag-Al based braze." International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33(14):3952-3961.
- Kim JY, MH Engelhard, JP Choi, and KS Weil. 2008. "Effects of atmospheres on bonding characteristics of silver and alumina." International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33(14):4001-4011. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2007.12.042