Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Barbara J. Tarasevich is a senior research scientist in the Materials Chemistry and Surface Research Group in the Energy and Efficiency Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Since joining PNNL she has been doing basic science and applied research on materials and surface chemistry related to biomedical applications as a principal investigator, project manager, and collaborator.
- Dr. Tarasevich is currently doing research on the structure and function of proteins involved in the biomineralization of teeth using advanced surface analytical techniques. Her work has found new mechanisms for protein interactions with surfaces which may lead to the development of new materials for tooth and periodontal repair. She has helped to create the active field of bioinspired materials synthesis and has used these approaches to form synthetic bone for bone healing applications. She has also been involved in developing new thermoreversible hydrogel materials which can be used for drug delivery, tissue engineering, and cancer treatment. Currently, this work involves the optimization of injectable hydrogels for bone repair and for the localized treatment of inoperable cancerous tumors. Dr. Tarasevich has also performed research on materials synthesis for protein microarrays, biosensors, radionuclide sequestration, and nanoparticle synthesis for nanotoxicology studies.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Materials Science, Pennsylvania State University, 2001
- M.S., Materials Science, University of Washington, 1998
- B.A., Biology, Colgate University, 1979
- Might KR, SA Martinez, N Karin, G Lin, BJ Tarasevich, and RR Pool. 2016. "The effect of lysophosphatidic acid using a hydrogel or collagen sponge carrier on bone healing in dogs." Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology 29(4):306-313. doi:10.3415/VCOT-15-08-0137
- Mihai C, WB Chrisler, Y Xie, D Hu, CJ Szymanski, A Tolic, J Klein, JN Smith, BJ Tarasevich, and G Orr. 2015. "Intracellular accumulation dynamics and fate of zinc ions in alveolar epithelial cells exposed to airborne ZnO nanoparticles at the air-liquid interface." Nanotoxicology 9(1):9-22. doi:10.3109/17435390.2013.859319
- Tao J, GW Buchko, WJ Shaw, J De Yoreo, and BJ Tarasevich. 2015. "Sequence-defined Energetic Shifts Control the Disassembly Kinetics and Microstructure of Amelogenin Adsorbed onto Hydroxyapatite (100)." Langmuir 31(38):10451-10460. doi:10.1021/acs.langmuir.5b02549
- Tarasevich BJ, JS Philo, NK Maluf, S Krueger, GW Buchko, G Lin, and WJ Shaw. 2015. "The Leucine-Rich Amelogenin Protein (LRAP) is primarily monomeric and unstructured in physiological solution." Journal of Structural Biology 190(1):81-91. doi:10.1016/j.jsb.2014.10.007
- Lin G, and BJ Tarasevich. 2013. "Photopolymerized hydrogel composites from poly(ethylene glycol) and hydroxyapatite for controlled protein delivery in vitro." Journal of Applied Polymer Science 128(6):3534-3539. doi:10.1002/app.38560
- Lin G, L Cosimbescu, NJ Karin, A Gutowska, and BJ Tarasevich. 2013. "Injectable and thermogelling hydrogels of PCL-g-PEG: mechanisms, rheological and enzymatic degradation properties." Journal of Materials Chemistry B 1(9):1249-1255. doi:10.1039/C2TB00468B
- Tarasevich BJ, U Perez-Salas, DL Masica, J Philo, S Krueger, CF Majkrzak, JJ Gray, and WJ Shaw. 2013. "Neutron Reflectometry Studies of the Adsorbed Structure of the Amelogenin, LRAP." Journal of Physical Chemistry B 117(11):3098-3109. doi:10.1021/jp311936j
- Buchko GW, G Lin, BJ Tarasevich, and WJ Shaw. 2013. "A solution NMR investigation into the impaired self-assembly properties of two murine amelogenins containing the point mutations T21?I or P41?T." Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 537(2):217-224. doi:10.1016/j.abb.2013.07.015
- Lin G, L Cosimbescu, NJ Karin, and BJ Tarasevich. 2012. "Injectable and thermosensitive PLGA-g-PEG hydrogels containing hydroxyapatite: Preparation, characterization and in vitro release behavior." Biomedical Materials 7(2):Article No. 024107. doi:10.1088/1748-6041/7/2/024107
- Engelhard MH, BJ Tarasevich, and DR Baer. 2011. "Beam Damage of HS (CH2)15 COOH Terminated Self Assembled Monolayer (SAM) as Observed by X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy." Surface Science Spectra 18(1):68-81. doi:10.1116/11.20080601
- Orr G, WB Chrisler, KJ Cassens, R Tan, BJ Tarasevich, LM Markillie, RC Zangar, and BD Thrall. 2011. "Cellular Recognition and Trafficking of Amorphous Silica Nanoparticles by Macrophage Scavenger Receptor A." Nanotoxicology 5(3):296-311. doi:10.3109/17435390.2010.513836
- Tarasevich BJ, AS Lea, and WJ Shaw. 2010. "The leucine rich amelogenin protein (LRAP) adsorbs as monomers or dimers onto surfaces." Journal of Structural Biology 169(3):266-276 .
- Buchko GW, BJ Tarasevich, J Roberts, ML Snead, and WJ Shaw. 2010. "A Solution NMR Investigation into the Murine Amelogenin Splice-Variant LRAP (Leucine-Rich Amelogenin Protein)." Biochimica et Biophysica Acta--Proteins and Proteomics 1804(9):1768-1774.
- Tarasevich BJ, AS Lea, W Bernt, MH Engelhard, and WJ Shaw. 2009. "Adsorption of Amelogenin onto Self-Assembled and Fluoroapatite Surfaces." Journal of Physical Chemistry B 113(7):1833-1842.
- Tarasevich BJ, AS Lea, W Bernt, MH Engelhard, and WJ Shaw. 2009. "Changes in the quaternary structure of amelogenin when adsorbed onto surfaces." Biopolymers 91(2):103-107. doi:10.1002/bip.21095
- Gaither KA, BJ Tarasevich, and SC Goheen. 2009. "Modification of polyurethane to reduce occlusion of enteral feeding tubes ." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B: Applied Biomaterials 91B(1):135-142.
- Orr G, DJ Panther, KJ Cassens, JL Phillips, BJ Tarasevich, and JG Pounds. 2009. "Syndecan-1 Mediates the Coupling of Positively Charged Submicrometer Amorphous Silica Particles with Actin Filaments across the Alveolar Epithelial Cell Membrane." Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 236(2):210-220. doi:10.1016/j.taap.2009.01.022
- Tarasevich BJ, A Gutowska, XS Li, and B Jeong. 2009. "The Effect of Polymer Composition on the Gelation Behavior of PLGA-g-PEG Biodegradable Thermoreversible Gels." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A 89A(1):248-254.
- Waters KM, LM Masiello, RC Zangar, BJ Tarasevich, NJ Karin, RD Quesenberry, S Bandyopadhyay, JG Teeguarden, JG Pounds, and BD Thrall. 2009. "Macrophage Responses to Silica Nanoparticles are Highly Conserved Across Particle Sizes." Toxicological Sciences 107(2):553-569.
- Buchko GW, BJ Tarasevich, JG Bekhazi, ML Snead, and WJ Shaw. 2008. "A Solution NMR Investigation into the Early Events of Amelogenin Nanosphere Self-Assembly Initiated with Sodium Chloride or Calcium Chloride." Biochemistry 47(50):13215-13222. doi:10.1021/bi8018288
- Shaw WJ, KF Ferris, BJ Tarasevich, and JL Larson. 2008. "The structure and orientation of the C-terminus of LRAP." Biophysical Journal 94(8):3247-3257. doi:10.1529/biophysj.107.119636
- Orr G, DJ Panther, JL Phillips, BJ Tarasevich, A Dohnalkova, D Hu, JG Teeguarden, and JG Pounds. 2007. "Submicron and Nanoscale Inorganic Particles Exploit the Actin Machinery to be Propelled Along Microvillilike Structures into Alveolar Cells." ACS Nano 1(5):463-475. doi:10.1021/nn700149r
- Tarasevich BJ, CJ Howard, JL Larson, ML Snead, J Simmer, ML Paine, and WJ Shaw. 2007. "The Nucleation and growth of Calcium Phosphate by Amelogenin." Journal of Crystal Growth 304(2):407-415.
- Straub TM, BP Dockendorff, MD Quinonez-Diaz, CO Valdez, JI Shutthanandan, BJ Tarasevich, JW Grate, and CJ Bruckner-Lea. 2005. "Automated Methods for Multiplexed Pathogen Detection ." Journal of Microbiological Methods 62(3):303-316.