Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mr. Brooks joined PNNL in 1992 and has developed numerous microchannel processes including combustors, heat exchangers, and reactors. He has also been involved in the management, development and testing of various radiochemical separation processes for waste treatment including cross-flow filtration, ion exchange, sludge leaching/settling, and membrane-based solvent extraction. For the last five years, he has been the plutonium technology lead for the Pit Disassembly and Conversion Project (PDCP) as part of the URS /Battelle Team. He currently leads the chemical hydride system modeling task in the Hydrogen Storage Engineering Center of Excellence where he directs the development of processes and process models for hydrogen storage systems for automotive applications. He is also directing the design, fabrication, and testing of engineering-scale solid sorbent carts for a liquid and a solid sorbent system for collection of CO2 from coal fired power plant flue gas.
- Combustion and reaction engineering including design, modeling and experimental development of combustors and reactors.
- Development of both radioactive and non-radioactive engineering-scale separation systems.
- Testing and evaluation of separation processes including cross-flow filtration, ion exchange, solvent extraction, sludge leaching, and gas absorption and stripping.
- Pyrochemical processing of plutonium and uranium
- Modeling Capabilities in Witness® discrete event simulation and ChemCAD® process modeling, and COMSOL Multiphysics modeling.
Education and Credentials
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1992.
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1990.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2010 Outstanding Performance Award
- 2009 Patent: (VELOCYS) Devices with Extended Area Structures for Mass Transfer Processing of Fluids (Incorp. 14328-E PROV 1, 2, 3 and IR 14180-E)
- 2007 Commendation from Washington Group International
- 2007 Patent: Microchannel Reactors with Temperature Control
- 2006 Key Contributor Award
- 1999 R&D 100 Award
- Brooks KP, A Makhmalbaf, DM Anderson, JP Amaya, SP Pilli, V Srivastava, and JF Upton. 2013. Business Case for a Micro-Combined Heat and Power Fuel Cell System in Commercial Applications. PNNL-22831, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Brooks KP, GM Wunderlich, JR Mcentire, JR, and WG Richmond. 2013. Enhancements in Glovebox Design Resulting from Laboratory-Conducted FIre Tests. PNNL-22525, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Devarakonda MN, KP Brooks, E Ronnebro, and SD Rassat. 2012. "Systems Modeling, Simulation and Material Operating Requirements for Chemical Hydride Based Hydrogen Storage." International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37(3):2779-2793. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.06.121
- Devarakonda MN, KP Brooks, E Ronnebro, SD Rassat, and JD Holladay. 2012. "Chemical Hydrides for Hydrogen Storage in Fuel Cell Applications." In SAE World Congress and Exhibition, April 24-26, 2012, Detroit, Michigan, pp. SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1229. SAE International, Warrendale, PA. doi:10.4271/2012-01-1229
- Brooks KP, MN Devarakonda, SD Rassat, and JD Holladay. 2011. "Systems Modeling of Chemical Hydride Hydrogen Storage Materials for Fuel Cell Applications." Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology 8(6):Article No. 061021. doi:10.1115/1.4004477
- Devarakonda MN, JD Holladay, KP Brooks, SD Rassat, and DR Herling. 2010. "Dynamic Modeling and Simulation Based Analysis of an Ammonia Borane (AB) Reactor System for Hydrogen Storage." ECS Transactions 33(1):1959 - 1972. doi:10.1149/1.3484687
- Brooks KP, MN Devarakonda, SD Rassat, DA King, and DR Herling. 2010. "SYSTEMS MODELING OF AMMONIA BORANE BEAD REACTOR FOR OFF-BOARD REGENERABLE HYDROGEN STORAGE IN PEM FUEL CELL APPLICATIONS." In Proceedings of the ASME 2010 Eighth International Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology Conference (FuelCell2010), vol. 1, pp. 729-734. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, NY.
- Brooks KP, SD Rassat, J Hu, VS Stenkamp, SN Schlahta, JR Bontha, JD Holladay, T Simon, KA Romig, and C Howard. 2009. "Development of a Microchannel In Situ Propellant Production System ." In Space Technology and Applications International Forum - STAIF 2006: AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 813, ed. MS ElGenk, pp. 1111-1121. American Institute of Physics, Melville, NY.
- Holladay JD, KP Brooks, PH Humble, J Hu, and T Simon. 2008. "Compact Reverse Water-Gas-Shift Reactor for Extra-Terrestrial In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) ." Journal of Propulsion and power 24(3):578-582.
- Brooks KP, J Hu, H Zhu, and R Kee. 2007. "Methanation of carbon dioxide by hydrogen reduction using the Sabatier process in microchannel reactors." Chemical Engineering Science 62(4):1161-1170. doi:10.1016/j.ces.2006.11.020
- Holladay JD, KP Brooks, RS Wegeng, J Hu, J Sanders, and S Baird. 2007. "Microreactor Development for Martian In-Situ Propellant Production ." Catalysis Today 120(1):35-44. doi:doi:10.1016/j.cattod.2006.07.019
- Hu J, KP Brooks, JD Holladay, D Howe, and TM Simon. 2007. "Catalyst Development for Microchannel Reactors for Martian In Situ Propellant Production." Catalysis Today 125(1-2):103-110.
- Palo DR, VS Stenkamp, JD Holladay, PH Humble, RA Dagle, and KP Brooks. 2007. "Non-Reactor Micro-Component Development." Chapter 7 in Micro-Instrumentation for High Throughput Experimentation and Process Intensification, ed. MV Koch, KM VandenBussche, R Chrisman, pp. 131-180. Wiley-VHC, Weinheim, Germany.
- Brooks KP, and WE TeGrotenhuis. 2006. "Radiator Performance Enhancement using a LiBr-H2O Absorption Cooler and Microchannel Technology: A Portable Life Support System Example." In 36th International Conference on Environmental Systems (ICES), July 17-20, 2006, Norfolk, VA, pp. Paper No. 2006-01-2267. SAE International, Warrendale, PA. doi:10.4271/2006-01-2267
- Brooks KP, BS Augspurger, DL Blanchard, Jr, JM Cuta, SK Fiskum, and MR Thorson. 2006. "Hydraulic Testing of Ion Exchange Resins for Cesium Removal from Hanford Tank Waste ." Separation Science and Technology 41(11):2391-2408.
- Brooks KP, SD Rassat, J Hu, VS Stenkamp, SN Schlahta, JR Bontha, JD Holladay, T Simon, KA Romig, and CL Howard. 2006. "Development of a Microchannel In Situ Propellant Production System." In Space Technology and Applications International Forum--STAIF 2006, vol. 813, no. 2006, ed. MS El-Genk, pp. 111-1121. American Institute of Physics, Melville, NY.
- King DL, KP Brooks, CM Fischer, LR Pederson, GC Rawlings, VS Stenkamp, WE TeGrotenhuis, RS Wegeng, and GA Whyatt. 2005. "Fuel Reformation: Catalyst Requirements in Microchannel Architectures." Chapter 7 in Microreactor Technology and Process Intensification, ACS Symposium Series, vol. 914, ed. Yong Wang and Jamelyn D. Holladay, pp. 119-128. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC.
- Brooks KP, SD Rassat, and WE TeGrotenhuis. 2005. Development of a Microchannel In Situ Propellant Production System . PNNL-15456, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Brooks KP, JM Davis, CM Fischer, DL King, LR Pederson, GC Rawlings, VS Stenkamp, WE TeGrotenhuis, RS Wegeng, and GA Whyatt. 2005. "Fuel Reformation: Microchannel Reactor Design." Chapter 15 in Microreactor Technology and Process Intensification : ACS Symposium Series, vol. 914, ed. Yong Wang and Jamelyn D. Holladay, pp. 238-257. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- Hollenberg GW, DE Kurath, and KP Brooks. 1999. "Ceramic Membranes for Separation of Sodium." Journal of the American Ceramic Society 92:245-263.
- Brooks KP, JR Bontha, GR Golcar, RL Myers, KG Rappe, and DR Rector. 1998. Bench-Scale Enhanced Sludge Washing and Gravity Settling of Hanford Tank S-107 Sludge . PNNL-12010, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.