Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Aashish Rohatgi has been with PNNL-Richland since 2008 in the Energy Materials - Transportation and Industrial Materials Group. He has led several projects on light-weight materials development for the automotive industry such as on warm-forming of magnesium, high-rate forming of aluminum and steel, polymeric foams with metal-foam like performance, etc. He is an expert in the fundamental aspects of deformation behavior of materials, focusing on microstructure-property correlations during high strain-rate deformation. He is experienced in the use of Hopkinson bars, load frames, SEM, TEM, EBSD, DSC etc. analytical techniques. He was previously with the Naval Research Laboratory, DC, where he led research on the development of multi-functional composites for the navy. He has co-authored over 30 publications and serves on the editorial board of Metallurgical Transactions A as a Key Reader.
- High-strain-rate deformation in materials (high-velocity impact, ballistics and blast)
- Microstructure-processing-property relationships
- Bio-materials, bio-inspired and bio-mimic materials
- Liquid crystalline polymers and polymer composites
- Multifunctional and hierarchically structured materials
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. Materials Science & Eng., University of California San Diego, 1999
- M.Eng. Metallurgical Engineering, McGill University, Canada, 1993
- B.Eng. Metallurgical Engineering, University of Roorkee, India, 1990.
- Nandipati G, N Govind, A Andersen, and A Rohatgi. 2016. "Self-Learning Kinetic Monte Carlo Simulations of Al Diffusion in Mg." Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 28(15):Article No. 155001. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/28/15/155001
- Prabhakaran R, JP Choi, EV Stephens, D Catalini, CA Lavender, and A Rohatgi. 2016. "Mechanical Characterization and Corrosion Testing of X608 Al Alloy." Chapter 24 in Light Metals 2016, ed. E. Williams, pp. 145-150. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Upadhyay P, A Rohatgi, EV Stephens, RW Davies, and D Catalini. 2015. "HIGH-RATE FORMABILITY OF HIGH-STRENGTH ALUMINUM ALLOYS: A STUDY ON OBJECTIVITY OF MEASURED STRAIN AND STRAIN RATE." In Light Metals 2015: Proceedings of the symposia sponsored by the TMS Aluminum Committee at the TMS 2015 Annual Meeting & Exhibition, March 15-19, 2015, Orlando, Florida, ed. M Hyland, pp. 327-332. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Hoboken, NJ. doi:10.1002/9781119093435.ch55
- Choi JP, A Rohatgi, MT Smith, and CA Lavender. 2015. "Process Development for Stamping Á-Pillar Covers with Aluminum." Chapter 35 in Light Metals 2015: Proceedings of the symposia sponsored by the TMS Aluminum Committee at the TMS 2015 Annual Meeting & Exhibition, March 15-19, 2015, Orlando, Florida, ed. M Hyland, pp. 197-202. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ. doi:10.1002/9781119093435.ch35
- Rohatgi A, A Soulami, EV Stephens, RW Davies, and MT Smith. 2014. "An Investigation of Enhanced Formability in AA5182-O Al During High-Rate Fre-Forming at Room-Temperature: Quantification of Deformation History." Journal of Materials Processing Technology 214(3):722–732. doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2013.07.015
- Rohatgi A, RW Davies, EV Stephens, A Soulami, and MT Smith. 2014. "An Experimental and Modeling Investigation on High-Rate Formability of Aluminum." Chapter 38 in Light Metals 2014, February 16-20, 2014, San Diego, California, ed. J Grandfield, pp. 219-225. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ. doi:10.1002/9781118888438.ch38
- Zhang K, XS Li, W Li, A Rohatgi, Y Duan, P Singh, L Li, and DL King. 2014. "Phase Transfer-Catalyzed Fast CO2 Absorption by MgO-Based Absorbents with High Cycling Capacity." Advanced Materials Interfaces 1(3):Article No. 1400030. doi:10.1002/admi.201400030
- Rohatgi A, and KI Johnson. 2013. "Investigation of H2 Diaphragm Compressors to Enable Low-Cost Long-Life Operation." Chapter III.11 in FY 2013 Progress Report for the DOE Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Program, vol. DOE/GO-102013-4260, pp. III-53 - III-55. US Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, TN.
- Rohatgi A, EV Stephens, RW Davies, and MT Smith. 2013. "AN INVESTIGATION OF SHEET METAL DEFORMATION BEHAVIOR DURING ELECTRO-HYDRAULIC FORMING (EHF)." In ASME 2013 Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC 2013), June 10-14, 2013, Madison, Wisconsin, vol. 1, pp. V001T01A011 Paper No. MSEC2013-1129. ASME, New York, NY. doi:10.1115/MSEC2013-1129
- Crum JV, DM Strachan, A Rohatgi, and MR Zumhoff. 2013. "Epsilon Metal Waste Form for Immobilization of Noble Metals from Used Nuclear Fuel." Journal of Nuclear Materials 441(1-3):103-112. doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2013.05.043
- Williams JJ, J Walters, M Wang, N Chawla, and A Rohatgi. 2013. "Extracting Constitutive Stress-Strain Behavior of Microscopic Phases by Micropillar Compression." JOM. The Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society 65(2):226-233. doi:10.1007/s11837-012-0516-9
- Rohatgi A, EV Stephens, DJ Edwards, MT Smith, and RW Davies. 2012. "Electro-hydraulic forming of advanced high-strength steels: Deformation and microstructural characterization." In ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC2012), June 4-8, 2012, Notre Dame, Indiana, no. MSEC2012-7322, pp. 163-168. ASME, New York, NY. doi:10.1115/MSEC2012-7322
- Rohatgi A, EV Stephens, RW Davies, MT Smith, A Soulami, and S Ahzi. 2012. "Electro-Hydraulic Forming of Sheet Metals: Free-forming vs. Conical-die Forming." Journal of Materials Processing Technology 212(5):1070-1079. doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2011.12.014
- Rohatgi A, and DM Strachan. 2011. AN INITIAL ASSESSMENT OF POTENTIAL PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGIES FOR EPSILON-METAL WASTE FORMS. PNNL-20313, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Rohatgi A, EV Stephens, A Soulami, RW Davies, and MT Smith. 2011. "Experimental Characterization of Sheet Metal Deformation During Electro-Hydraulic Forming." Journal of Materials Processing Technology 211(11):1824-1833. doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2011.06.005
- Rohatgi A, EV Stephens, A Soulami, RW Davies, and MT Smith. 2010. "High-Strain-Rate Forming of Aluminum and Steel Sheets for Automotive Applications ." In Proceedings of the International Deep Drawing Group Conference (IDDRG-2010 ), May 31-June 02, 2010, Graz, Austria. International Deep Drawing Research Group, Brussels, Belgium.
- Rohatgi A, DR Herling, and EA Nyberg. 2009. "CHARACTERIZATION AND FORMABILITY OF CONTINUOUS-CAST AZ31B MAGNESIUM ALLOY SHEETS." In Magnesium Technology 2010, ed. SR Agnew, NR Neelameggham, EA Nyberg and WH Sillekens, pp. 573-578. TMS , Warrendale, PA.